Thursday, April 17, 2014
Greyhawk Next or Mystara Next
I'm semi-excited about D&D Next. It seems to be a game I won't hate running and also be the game people expect to play (unlike S&W, LL, Rolemaster, heartbreaker of the week, etc.) Although I give even odds that WoTC/Hasbro fuck it up, I'm still thinking about what campaign I'll start.
I had 20 immediate ideas... Kind of paired down to two. The Word of Greyhawk or Mystara (or as I know it, BECMI World). Kind of reinforcing the point that D&D Next is actually "D&D Back to What Was an Awesome Game Before we Fucked it."*
Undecided. Any thoughts?
- Name sounds cool, it matters.
- It was the first (for me), I know it best.
- I've been able to run some of the classics, I still long for Giant/Drow/Queen series (although looking over it semi-recently it seemed less cool than I "remembered" it to be), ToH, Barrier Peaks. I also really dig U1-3, Sentinel & Gauntlet. But, those seem less GH iconic and can really put'm anywhere. btw breezing through A1-4 I thought "what like a piece of rail roady crap", am I wrong?)
- S&S style of course, and pre greyhawk wars and all that 2e crap. Although I've never really read any of that and this "From the Ashes" description makes it sound pretty cool.
- Get to use my new DragMag set of giant maps.
- Would nix my "Greyhack (Hackmaster 5e Greyhawk)" campaign idea.
- I've already done T1-4 (which is the lead in to G1-3), other smaller GH games.
- I've never run any Known World campaign, ever!
- I so want to run "X1 Isle of Dread", second module I ever owned.
- I spent too much money getting every damn Gazetteer and box set, other than Hollow World.
- Get to use my trail maps!
- Setting is kind of dorky/campy/silly. Starting with name and moving on to super stereotyped cultures to the point they invented dues ex machina to explain it all. [btw this silliness reinforced idea that Basic was for kiddies and AD&D was for sophisticated 14-15 year olds such as my self]
- Not really all that jazzed about any of the other B/X modules (proly cause I don't know them so well. After B1-B2-X1 seemed very story/rail roady. Any recommendations?), C/M/I are right out.
*/ btw I'm not just a 4e hater. The fucking up of D&D started with 2e. The splatbooks, railroad modules written by wanna be novelists rather than game players/designers and the greedy, passionless mismanagement that led to TSR's deserved death.
All Time Most Popular Posts
[ Magic Items Should be Magical originally posted Dec 25th, 2008! A good post, edited and shortened a bit.] Magic Items Are Special Creat...
[This post was written by Flip, author of The Paradigm Traveller RPG blog. Payback for the guest post Role Playing Game aides and accoute...
Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, MUSHROOM!
or d6+6. Some high number of hit points. Pixie being a Player Character version of some 6-8 inch tall thing with wings that flits about an...
In my Gold and Glory campaign I've created some fluff around standard D&D magic. Which has lead to particular research rules I us...
Dicecreator posted video update to my DIY Dice post, nice! Looks awesome, thanks for the video.
"In print" includes in PDF. "1st Edition AD&D" includes OSRIC. To compliment your recently acquired 1st Editi...
Awhile back friend, who had just seen Mad Max (a great disappointment btw), was bugging me to run a post apocalyptic campaign every time he ...
Oh giditty git, I loves me some maps. "Atlas" was my favorite book type as a kid. They were bigger than any other book in our hou...
Barrowmaze Complete for D&D 5th Edition Kickstarter I've bought the original Barrowmaze, Barrowmaze II, Barrowmaze Complete and...